The Bayou Gardener
September 22, 2014, 01:13:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thought chicken coop was varmit proof  (Read 1211 times)
pops
Grasshopper

« on: November 01, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »

my wife called this morning and said two dogs had gotten in our chicken coop and killed all but two of our 10 hens..however, they are hurting really bad, dont know if they will make it..
guess they pushed up the chain link gate latch and pushed the gate opened....

Angry Sad..

jefferson county, florida
bkwoods
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »

a security breach for sure. If you were to give those scoundrels their do, they would be soon replaced. I guess fix handle with with a bolt or snap ring or something. The real me wants to revenge the loss. Its one thing if they were running loose and a a neighbors dog happens to be close and out of instinct starts chasing and maybe hurts or kills one. It is totaly different for them to break in and cold blooded kill. The verdict should be death to the scoundrels!!!! Or if the owner really loves their dogs, then they should pay you for your loss. Secondly life in prison without paroll for the scoundrel dogs.

Ridgeville, SC zone 8a
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »

I encouraged one yesterday to not come back after he and his bud killed 4 of my chickens.  Maybe someone took him to the vet.

The other one was here before daylight this morning.  He has gotta go also.

I am sorry for your loss and mine both.  It does help if you build your gates to open outward.  Those that open inward need a snap hook on them.

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
bigwad1
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »

Once those dogs get a start on killing, it's almost impossible to stop them.
You can replace all the chickens they killed, but they will be back again and again.
Hate to sound to hard core, but those dogs have to go.
knyquol
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:10:19 PM »

Oh that breaks my heart! Not sure what to tell you but like bigwad said they won't shop trying for more...

Click for Hancock, Michigan Forecast" height="90" width="160 Zone 5b
alwaystj9
Grasshopper

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 06:43:33 AM »

Some varmint has always managed to get into every type of coop I have. My 'Tween pen has a woven wire top on it and I have seen a small hawk turn sideways in flight, clamp his wings and fly diagonally through the wire. Earlier this year a snake pushed up the brooder lid. Sometimes my birds go over to the neighbors -- his pit bull makes short work of the ones he catches. I have learned to be philosophical about it. I do my best, especially fencing out dogs, but I can't plan for every trick varmints have come up with, nor can I prevent my birds from doing dumb things. This week I lost 2 chickens: one was torn apart by I don't know what in the pasture, and another I found toes up floating in the horse trough. Two weeks ago, one got hit by a truck. I will be re-clipping wings and trying to figure out a water trough screen but the best I can do is learn from each loss. I am sorry about your birds, they are up there with my lost ones picking high-dollar feed in the great coop in the sky ....

Zone 8b
pybryce
Top Gun

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »

I don't think most dog-owners are aware of the true cost to get a chicken to laying age. It's not just the feed cost, but the time it takes to get another to laying age.  My guess is the value would be $50 per chicken if you add the cost of raising the first, plus its replacement, plus the eggs you buy in the meantime.  This doesn't take into consideration the cost of housing, bedding, treats, and misc. items...

I'm sorry for your loss.  Thanks for reminding us to be more aware.

16 Acres in Zachary, LA (about 10 miles north of Baton Rouge).
2009 John Deere 5065 4WD, et al.
Zone 8b.
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 06:59:38 AM »

On snakes, we have found something that really works.  We found it accidentally by putting bird netting over the blackberries some years ago.  Now, all pens are wrapped with the netting up about 2.5'.  The snakes start through the mesh but then can't back out and wind up trapped.  The machette does a good job of dispatching them.

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
Joe in Dirt
Master Gardener

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »

When I had raised chickens in the past we had things that wanted to eat them more than us, when we built the chicken house we dug down about two foot and put a sheet of tine about the bottom, the rest of the building was wood then for the venting and the run it was covered with 1/2" hard ware cloth, a little expensive but low cost if one had to repalce some hens, it was funny to how some of the thieves gave up digging at about a foot and to come out and catch one of those big chicken snakes laying on the top wore out from try to find a way in, they would usually say please shoot me by that time, hate to hear your lost, need to have a long talk with the doggie, one that he will remember, Joe-In-Dirt
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 09:58:24 AM »

electric wire...1 strand 6"s from the ground, another knee high....

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
AlaRedNeck
Top Gun

Dead Center of Alabama-Zone 7b/8a

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 06:29:22 PM »

What Cub said...

Danny

"The truth is that farmers, as we all are, have no command of money. Our necessaries are all supplied, either from our farms, or a neighboring store. Our produce, at the end of the year, is delivered to the merchant, and thus the business of the year is done by barter, without the intervention of scarcely a dollar; and thus, also, we live with a plenty of everything except money."
-- Letter from Thomas Jefferson To William Duane (1811)
bordercollie
Top Gun

sw Madison county, central Mississippi

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »

I am sorry to hear that. I also had that happen with 2 stray dogs. They did their  bad deed-killing for pleasure- my sweet old barred rocks-  and then had the nerve to stretch out and nap...... After  that, electric fence netting from kencove with T posts in the corners (with pvc pipe for insulator) slid over the T to keep the fence tight. They aren't coming back but for others that try - a  good shocking.   judy

southwest Madison County, Central Mississippi   (out from Jackson)
Zone 8A
Joe in Dirt
Master Gardener

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »

Had one of them fellow deere dogs got out and ate some of my wife's cats, she said she had never heard something like that, I called the fellow and I was not home yet, described the dogs, he that are not mine, then I said then you would not mind me shooting them, he got there before and guess what it was his dogs, good thing he got there first, did not make a big deal about it with him, I would hate to get in a pinch with those big dogs having something they want in your hand like a cat, won't tolerate that again, Joe-In-Dirt
LonghornRancher
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »

I just started hanging the coon skulls on the fence of my coop.  About once a month a bait a trap with some cat food.  I have not caught a dog yet, but I wouldn't mind having some variety hanging there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: