The Bayou Gardener
November 22, 2014, 08:05:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patented/Non Patented Plant Lists and Plant Propagation  (Read 1190 times)
TheOntarioGardener
Top Gun

« on: October 27, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »

Hello everyone,

As fall is now here, with winter not to far behind, my thoughts turn to next spring. I am hoping to be able to continue my vegetable garden and be able to make some money with that. However, my true passion, if you will, is plants... mainly shrubs, perennials, and trees.

I am planning on and would like to build myself a propagation house, where I can start cuttings and do cloning, etc. However, cloning, and then selling patented plants is illegal. Yes, I am sure selling on a small scale wouldn't be an issue, but all it takes is one slip up, or the one person that is on the lookout for it and you are finished. So, I have been reading and have come to the conclusion that there are thousands of open propagated plants available to use and sell. However, I have not been able to find a source that lists patented and non patented varieties. Yes, things can be started from seed, but it could and would take many years for a plant to get to a sell-able size. Cloning, by cuttings, is cheap and relatively easy and the quickest way to start a plant collection for future resale. 

I feel I have the skills, some learned 10 years ago, others learned a few years ago when I took a Horticulture course, and this may be a good venture to start on my property.

So, in short, if anyone has any experience with plant propagation, and/or has a resource where patented plants are listed, please comment below. I can already picture all those loop houses on my property, but if you don't start from the ground up, and the right way, you are just asking for trouble.

Thanks,
~Jake

Zone 4B, Canada.
Kubota MX5100, Loader, 74" Tiller, 72" Rotary Mower, Middle Buster, Sub Soiler, Auger

www.youtube.com/theontariogardener
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: