The Bayou Gardener
August 23, 2014, 12:47:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setup 2 Row Pittsburgh Style Cultivator  (Read 1964 times)
NCGARDEN

« on: October 27, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »

Recently bought an older style Pittsburgh Cultivator, for the simple reason I can plant 2 rows on 30" centers behind my tractor.  Setting up the sweeps has been a small task, I have experimented with 22" sweeps and am now down to 12" sweeps for the primary sweeps and 6" and 4" for secondary.  My poor collards have taken a beating while all of this is going on.  I plant most of my vegetables on 30" rows.  Each row is hilled.  Where my problem comes in is, as I cultivate I tend to knock down some of the row.  Any suggestions would be helpful
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:31:35 AM by NCGARDEN » Logged
coonneck
A Gardener

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:05:25 PM »

First thing don't look back. If you take your eye off the row to look back you will waver in the row. Did you use the cultivator to build your row? If not you can use one plow and two half shovels to make your rows and then replace them with sweeps and all will be spaced right.
NCGARDEN

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »

Coonneck, you do have one thing right I do look back so I will just look forward. Second I used the Pittsburgh Cultivator and attached 16" disk Hillers (2 Sets), to make my raised rows.  If I understand you correctly you say to use 1 plow (like a potato digger) in the center of the cultivator and then a left hand sweep on one side and a right hand sweep on the other side being care full to setup 30" center rows?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: